Pages

Thursday, September 16, 2021

Chemicals

Red Cabbage Indicator Experiment



Materials :

1. Red Cabbage

2. Beaker

3. Bunsen Burner

4. Pipette

5. Sodium Hydroxide

6. Hydrochloric acid

7. Test Tubes

8. Paper Towel

9. Test tube rack

10. Water

Steps :

1. Chop up the red cabbage into small pieces. Place in a beaker and cover with a small amount of water.

2. Bring the solution to the boil using a Bunsen burner and then turn off the heat. Let it sit to cool down.

3. Pour the cabbage water through a paper towel into a beaker. The dark purple liquid in the jar is the pH
indicator liquid.

4. Suck up the indicator into a pipette.

5. Use the cabbage indicator and the pH chart below to test the acidity of the different 3 household liquids plus
the hydrochloric acid and ammonium hydroxide.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - Begin with a greeting. Talk about something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A comment that will mean something to me to let me know you read/watched or listened to what I had to say. - use any language.
3. Something helpful - Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.
Encourage me to make another post!